Wireshark mailing list archives

GUI testing

From: Dario Lombardo <lomato () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:10:39 +0100

Hi
I am investigating technologies for testing the GUI component of Wireshark.
I have in mind 2 scenarios

1) feature testing
In this scenario I'd like to launch qt ui and have a software that acts
like a user, by opening menus and clicking on buttons. The goal of it is to
check that some features are working as expected.

2) regression testing
In this scenario the test is run in a CI environment. The ui is launched
against some capture files with different options and we could either: (1)
verify it doesn't crash, (2) check resulting output wherever possible.
Remember that usually CI machines aren't regular machines but they are
headless with no graphics. Travis docs explain how to do headless testing
in a web scenario

https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/gui-and-headless-browsers/

Is anyone aware of software/techniques useful in those scenarios? Any
shareable experience would be useful as well.
Consider that at the moment Wireshark CIs are based on travis, gitlab-ci,
appveyor.
Thanks.
Dario.

--