Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Conversations - addresses/ports, more general endpoints, and "circuits" with their own IDs

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2019 11:54:45 -0800

On Jan 6, 2019, at 10:30 AM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl> wrote:

Rather than simplistic endpoint ID’s I think we need an ID tuple per endpoint,

How is a tuple not itself an ID?

And not all conversations necessarily have specific endpoints.

which may be combined with one (or more) other tuples representing single (and multipoint) connections.
Examples are an aggregating tap/monitor port which monitors various VLANs, or an MPLS link. Or even closer to home, a
multi port capture in a pcapng file, lets say of two ports of a switch or router. The conversations therein would
need to be identified from the capture interface on up.

The intent here is to have a general concept of a "conversation", with no specification, at that layer, as to how a
"conversation" is identified - think of it as an abstract base class - with subclasses that use different ways of
identifying whether a packet belongs to a given conversation or not.  Multiple subclasses can share code for
identifying that; TCP and UDP might share the "IP address and port" identification code.

(I"m not sure I like the name "conversation", but I'm not sure I like "flow" as that strikes me as half of a
conversation going in only one direction, and I'm not sure what other name would be good for that broad a concept.)