Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark on Kali linux

From: Dario Lombardo <lomato () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 09:18:25 +0100

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 11:26 PM João Valverde <
joao.valverde () tecnico ulisboa pt> wrote:

I think a warning for "running Wireshark/tshark as root is dangerous" is
very appropriate. There is a legitimate discussion to be had on whether
it should be more or less forceful and what to do about Kali.

I agree, but it should not require any feedback from the user (as clicking
on a button) or it should be possible to deactivate it. But if we rely on
some action on the way it is run (like setting an option or an env var) we
could end up to nothing since it is under the control of the distribution,
not ours.
Something appearing in the toolbar, in the titlebar or in whatever bar
sounds good to me, but I guess it should be done from the core, not from
init.lua.

The 2 changes proposed by Peter sound good to me as well.