Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How can I run this sort of test before checking in and can it be more useful?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 16:49:57 -0400

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 8:41 PM Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Sep 9, 2018, at 4:17 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
wrote:

Error:
/home/wireshark/builders/ubuntu-x86-64-petri-dish/ubuntu-x86-64-petri-dish/build/epan/dissectors/packet-ieee80211.c
uses proto_tree_add_uint with tvb_get_*. Use proto_tree_add_item
instead
Args: tree, hf_he_qtp_setup_quiet_period_duration, tvb, offset, 1,
tvb_get_guint8(tvb, offset)

This is very useful, however, I have two questions:

1. How do I run this myself before I push stuff to Gerritt?

Build the checkAPI target.

2. Can it be more useful and tell me the line number the problem appears
on?

Probably - that would involve having tools/checkAPIs.pl keep track of line
numbers and put them in the error messages.

... Though in this case it wouldn't be terribly easy to add (AFAICS).  And
the hf variable there should allow you to quickly isolate the offending
code.