Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wpa test failure

From: Dario Lombardo <lomato () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 16:17:29 +0200

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Maynard, Christopher <
Christopher.Maynard () igt com> wrote:

Is there a problem with the environment perhaps?

On Windows, I needed to set WIRESHARK_APPDATA to the location of the
80211_keys file in order for this to work.

Maybe HOME isn’t enough?  Do you have to set WIRESHARK_DATA_DIR and/or
WIRESHARK_RUN_FROM_BUILD_DIRECTORY?  I was unsuccessful attempting this
with a recent 2.6.0 build on a RHEL7 system as I was unable to get past
this error once WIRESHARK_DATA_DIR was set:

ERROR:privileges.c:153:started_with_special_privs: assertion failed:
(init_process_policies_called)

… which I find odd because *tshark* was running from the build directory
as a normal user, and anyway, *tshark* is only *reading* a file, not
capturing, so why should it care about special privileges anyway?

What looks strange is that on ubuntu 16.04 it works well. That means that
the environment should be properly set. I can't figure out what changed
between those 2 versions...