Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Dissector - plugin or built-in

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 10:58:13 +0000

On 1 March 2018 at 10:27, Roland Knall <rknall () gmail com> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Graham Bloice <
graham.bloice () trihedral com> wrote:

On 1 March 2018 at 10:18, Roland Knall <rknall () gmail com> wrote:

We do not have any other dissector within the code, which dissects
blocktypes. Therefore I would not be so sure, that it will get rejected (in
my book it definitely should not).

But it most likely will get rejected as a plugin.

Main reasons for built-in:

- Easier to maintain
- Best-practice approach
- Would name it something like blocktype_trb.c or similar to distinguish
from protocol-only dissectors

Should we have a separate spot in the source tree for block type
dissectors?  I'm not sure if we will ever have lots, but should we keep
epan/dissectors for "protocol" dissectors.

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. like epan/blocktypes in
comparison to epan/dissectors

But we already have file-xxx dissectors in there. It would also make sense
to have a epan/dissectors/packet, epan/dissectors/file,
epan/dissectors/blocktype structure.

What do you think?

Probably just my OCD tendencies kicking in, is there any benefit for devs
to doing so?

cheers
Roland

--