Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: tshark buffered packet dissection -- no realtime output?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 18:40:04 -0800

On Jan 13, 2018, at 9:19 AM, Eldon <wireshark-users () eldondev com> wrote:

I realize this is a longshot, but my mind immediately went to pipe
buffering as well, and a comment on stackoverflow[1] seems to indicate
that there are some situations where stdbuf -o0 will not work due to a
variety of security measures or alternate configs/stdlibs. Since tshark
might have some certain capabilities flags set, I just thought it might
be worth checking!

Whatever capability flags are set on tshark would matter only if he's using stdbuf on tshark; if he's using it on curl,
the issue would be whether *curl*, not *tshark*, prevented dynamic library injection.

And the actual issue is in the low-level code (*very* low-level code) in libwiretap that TShark uses to read the
capture; that code isn't using the "standard I/O" libraries, so stdbuf won't affect it.  Even if curl *isn't* buffering
its output, TShark, in effect, reads it as if it were buffered.