Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: What's the process to get a Zookeeper dissector packaged with wireshark?

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 07:30:54 -0800

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 12:12 AM, Jeff Widman <jeff () jeffwidman com> wrote:
How do I get a dissector for Zookeeper's protocol included by default in
Wireshark?

Do you have some code? Point us at the code and someone may be
interested enough to add the dissector.

I searched but couldn't find anything about what's required to "promote" a
dissector to be packaged with wireshark...

I assume it's more than just code, that there's some process for deciding
whether a protocol is popular enough that a dissector for it could be
included in core.

Zookeeper is an open-source database for reliably storing metadata. Many
popular open-source distributed systems rely heavily on it, including Kafka,
Hadoop, Druid, etc.

Given this popularity, I suspect the only reason it's not bundled into
Wireshark is no one has had the time to write it, but wanted to confirm
before I start hacking on it.

--

Jeff Widman
jeffwidman.com | 740-WIDMAN-J (943-6265)

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe