Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Qt deploy problem when installing Wireshark

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 10:38:30 +0100

On 28 September 2017 at 22:05, John Dill <John.Dill () greenfieldeng com>
wrote:

I'm trying to run a Wireshark installer I build from Qt 5.8.0, 32-bit, for
Wireshark 2.4.1 on a Windows 10 machine with Visual Studio 2015.  It runs
fine when I execute run\RelWithDebInfo\Wireshark.exe on my local
computer.  The installer needs to run on Vista 32-bit (lab computer) and
the installer works fine, but afterwards the Wireshark application would
not start due to missing DLLs.

I think you're going to be out of luck here.

According to the Qt supported platforms page [1], Vista isn't supported for
Qt 5.8.  You have to go back to Qt 5.6 for that, hence the note on the
Wireshark lifecycle page that 2.2 is the last version to support Vista as
that is built with Qt 5.6

[1]: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/supported-platforms-and-configurations.html
[2]: https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/LifeCycle

First, I had to install the VS 2015 redistributable to fix the
msvcp140.dll missing issue.  Now it has another problem that reads

The application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt

platform plugin "windows"

in ""

Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

The Vista computer doesn't have Qt installed on it.  I copied the
Wireshark.exe from a wsbuild32 directory containing
run\RelWithDebInfo\Wireshark.exe into a deploy32 folder and ran the x86
version of windeployqt.exe.

C:\Qt\Qt5.8.0_x86\5.8\msvc2015\bin\windeployqt.exe Wireshark.exe

It copied a lot of files into deploy32 but I'm not sure where these files
are supposed to be deployed on the Vista machine.  Can someone let me know
what to do from here, or if I'm off track?

Thanks,

John D.

--
Graham Bloice