Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Is there any example C dissectors I can study?

From: Michael Mann via Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev () wireshark org>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 12:10:49 -0400

Description beyond the filename? No.

But I'd turn it around and ask "what kind of dissector are you trying to make"?  If its a protocol that runs over TCP
or UDP, we can probably point you to some of the "simpler" ones to get started.  There are also many dissectors for
other underlying layers.

Many Wireshark dissectors are developed using copy/paste, it's just a matter of finding what you need to copy.  Many
times assistance will be in the form of "go look at this dissector as an example", because with 1300 dissectors,
"there's an example for that".

packet-PROTOABBREV.c certainly gives you a good skeleton, but the specifics of where your dissector will be called
(like over TCP or UDP) can give you a good jump because you can just create a protocol field in the tree and have it
show up in Wireshark.