Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: rpcap support seems to have disappeared ...

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:34:46 -0800

On Nov 12, 2017, at 5:38 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com> wrote:

It looks like libpcap-1.8.1 also has remote capture functionality,

It has some remote capture functionality, but I'm not sure what state it was in; I've done a *lot* of work on it
(including testing the server on various UN*Xes and Windows, and testing the client on various UN*Xes) subsequently,
and that work is only in the master branch.

using pcap_opensource_remote et-al and it seems to be enabled by
default.

It's not enabled by default - it's only enabled if HAVE_REMOTE is defined, and there's no --enable-remote support in
the configure file.  CMakeLists.txt 1) only sets it on Windows and 2) isn't guaranteed to work on UN*X.  The work I've
done to fix those issues is only in the master branch.