Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Filtering on (negated) frame.time_relative filters out wrong frame.number

From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis () croatiafidelis hr>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:28:52 +0100

On 170317-11:29+0000, Graham Bloice wrote:
On 17 March 2017 at 11:23, Peter Wu <peter () lekensteyn nl> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 11:57:00PM +0100, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
[..]
I like to prepare traces (and other stuff) when I have issues. Pretty
often it's been stuff like login issues to forums and similar. In which
case what's most needed is get the packet with the password cut out from
the trace before publishing, obviously.

The version:

$ wireshark --version
Wireshark 2.2.5 (wireshark-2.2.5)
[...]

((!(frame.time_relative == 159.123717557)) && (!(frame.time_relative ==
188.863380487)))
because upon perusing the trace, I saw that password containing packets
were:
1310 and 1484

Rather than dumping the tshark -V output, what about using File ->
"Export PDUs to File"? Then you also strip the TLS layer (since
redaction of the HTTP layer would otherwise be pretty useless when you
have the TLS session secrets and the encrypted data).
I haven't used "Export PDUs to File" yet. It wasn't close at hand
finding what PDU is, since there is no string "protocol data unit" to be
found in:
https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html/
nor the string "Export PDU"
Found string "protocol data unit (PDU)" only in:
https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html/
and in:
https://wiki.wireshark.org/PDU
but am uncertain I to "Export PDUs to File" (which of course,
I see under "File" in Wireshark. Probably by giving the frame.number...
and OSI layer 7... Tried, didn't get much. Not clear to me...

To filter out frames by number you can also use "not frame.number==1310
and not frame.number==1484".
I know that. I used that first, and the wrong packets were removed just
like later with frame.time_relative
(
but the fact that Wireshark, when packet 1070 is selected (on this
morning's, see below, dump_170317_0928_g0n.pcap.O), when you
right-click, "Prepare a filter" and then left-click on "Not selected"
choses: !(frame.time_relative == 33.105837782) ... Aah! I see now. It
depends on where you right clicked in Wireshark... Sorry! Anyway (just
to finish my thought), that made me think the frame.time_relative was
preferred way...

Can you try to prepare a smaller capture that can reproduce the issue
which does not contain sensitive passwords?
I've started work on that this morning, but was unwell. Will continue.

Or use editcap to drop the packets;

  editcap infile outfile packet#1 packet#2

See the man page here: https://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/editcap.html

Thanks! Yes, I knew about editcap, but for months I had been able to use that
method that I described. It worked just faultlessly on many occasions.
Until recently.

Will be back as soon as I will be able to, with this morning's example,
complete, with a fake password.

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia