Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Compilation error Red Hat 3.4.3-9.EL4

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws () darkjames pl>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 20:47:31 +0200

Hello,

W dniu 2017-06-27 05:33, Guy Harris napisaƂ(a):
On Apr 29, 2011, at 12:52 AM, Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws () darkjames pl> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:24:08PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
I wouldn't to it by checking for a particular version, though -
I'd just check for inflatePrime() and, if it's not present, don't build in the "transparent access to gzipped files" support.

Actually we still can do transparent access, but only when BLOCK is not inside
middle of byte.

So does that mean "we can still do transparent access, but it won't
work with some valid gzipped files", or does it mean "we can still do
transparent access on all valid gzipped files as long as the code is
careful", or does it mean "we can still do transparent access on all
valid gzipped files, but it won't be as efficient as it would be with
inflatePrime()"?

Given that the random-access-to-gzipped-files code is compiled in
regardless of whether we have inflatePrime(), presumably it doesn't
mean the first of those.

I would say that mix of (1) and (3).

It all depends what's position of blocks in compressed file (we don't have control on it),
attaching sample code for checking.

I think it's possible to craft gzipped capture file where block always finish in middle of byte.

Jakub.