Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Preferences dialog width - GTK interface

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 07:46:56 +0100

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 7:43 AM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl> wrote:

On 6 Feb 2017, at 00:08, Peter Wu <peter () lekensteyn nl> wrote:

On Sun, Feb 05, 2017 at 10:42:32PM +0100, Jaap Keuter wrote:
On 05-02-17 21:28, Alexis La Goutte wrote:

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 7:52 PM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl
<mailto:jaap.keuter () xs4all nl>> wrote:

   Hi,

   Does anyone else get ridiculous wide (as in over 2000 px wide)
preference dialog
   on GTK development build?
   It seems that the new 'title only' preferences, of RDP, DAP, SAP,
etc, are long
   lines, which are wrapped in the Qt interface, but not in the GTK
interface.

Hi Jaap,

May be because user use now Qt ? ;-)

And now seriously?

I can reproduce this problem (with 2.0.5 and master
(v2.3.0rc0-2268-g9ffff86e8d) with GTK+ 3.77.2, the dialog is very wide.
I guess it has something to do with the children not being constrained
while the parent tries to adjust to the largest width.

Maybe setting the maximum width hint for the label would help? (No idea
how, would have to read the fine manual for that.)

Hi Peter,

Thanks for having a look.  Indeed we’ll need to tweak the preference label
widget to word wrap, as does the Qt version. Let’s see what we can find.

Thanks,
Jaap

PS: I’ve seen no bug reports on this. If this indeed is a problem existing
from 2.0 on, does this show that the legacy interface sees little use?

Good question..
I don't known if gerald have some stats from (auto)update tools ?

May be also the issue coming from a change on GTK ?