Wireshark mailing list archives

Run TShark + USBPcap forever on Windows

From: Matthew Dierker <matthew.dierker () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 18:44:15 -0800

Hi! I'm using TShark to pipe USB packets on Windows from USBPcap to a
Python program. TShark is run using Python's subprocess library. I'm having
TShark echo the results to a subprocess.PIPE object as json, and I'm
reading that in from the Python code. As far as I know, no packets are ever
written to a file.

It's all working fine, but TShark eventually decides it's time to exit,
notated by "XXX packets captured" printed to stderr. My goal is to have
this run indefinitely in the background, and a silent restart isn't a great
option because of the UAC dialog that pops up each time. Any idea why
TShark decides to exit if it isn't hitting a file limit?

Sample Params: tshark.exe -i [usb interface] -x -T json -l -Y [display
filter]

Thanks!