Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Display filter on smb2.fid

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 09:12:59 -0500

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Dec 12, 2017, at 5:50 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
wrote:

On 12/12/2017 03:33 PM, Rodrigo Borges Pereira wrote:
Hi,
I'd like to match on partial smb2.fid, for example smb2.fid[0] == 00
But this seems to be an invalid expression. Is there any trick to it,
or just not possible at all?

That's not possible with that field.  You can do partial matches on
fields that are byte arrays, for example:

eth.addr[0:3]==00:06:5B

But GUIDs (such as smb2.fid) aren't treated as byte arrays so it doesn't
work.

Is there a compelling reason *not* to change the display filter engine to
allow field[start:len] for all field types, with the meaning "treat the
bytes of the field as a byte array"?

For GUIDs I really don't see a reason not to.

Things like FT_*INTs might require a bit more thought to ensure endianism
doesn't cause trouble - presumably the bytes would be presented (and
tested) in packet-byte-order (not the host-byte-order that I think we store
them in).