Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Upgrading to VS2015

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 09:46:43 +0000

On 29 November 2017 at 08:16, Paul Offord <Paul.Offord () advance7 com> wrote:

Hi,

I’m upgrading my Windows 10 dev machine from VS2013 to VS2015 Community
Edition.  The Win32/64: Step-by-Step Guide give guidance to the Visual
Studio command prompt indicating to look for *VS2015 x64 Native Tools
Command Prompt*.  I don’t have this anywhere in my menu system.  I have
two other command prompt shortcuts:

MS Build Command Prompt that runs the command:
"C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" /k ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools\VsMSBuildCmd.bat""

Developer Command Prompts that runs the command:
"C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" /k ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools\VsDevCmd.bat""

Are either of these the command shells I should be using?

Thanks and regards…Paul

You've probably missed a recent update to the docs about installing VS2015
community Edition using Chocolatey:

You can use Chocolatey to install Visual Studio, to correctly configure the
installation, copy the deployment XML file msvc2015AdminDeployment.xml
<https://code.wireshark.org/review/gitweb?p=wireshark.git;a=blob_plain;f=tools/msvc2015AdminDeployment.xml;hb=HEAD>
from
the source code tools directory and pass the path the file to the
chocolatey install command:
PS$>choco install VisualStudio2015Community --timeout 0
-package-parameters "--AdminFile path\to\msvc2015AdminDeployment.xml"

If you installed VS2015 manually, then you'll have to modify the
installation to include the "Common Tools for Visual C++ 2015" item as also
described in the Developers guide.

--
Graham Bloice