Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Introducing an FT_OUI type, should it be an integer or bytes?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 17:23:05 -0700

On Aug 19, 2017, at 4:18 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com> wrote:

I have a change up for review that introduces a new type, FT_OUI.

It works. However, the big question is that it changes the current
practice from the OUI being an INT24 to being BYTES.

This breaks backward compatibility I imagine.

Is this a big issue?

Some issues I see are:

        1) Filter expressions that compare an OUI field against a 24-bit integral value might become invalid - but you
might be able to make that work by allowing FT_OUI be represented, in filters, either as an integral value or as 3
octets (allowing 0C0102, 0C:01:02, etc.).

        2) OUIs are used in the 802.2 LLC dissector when processing the SNAP header; a dissector can register a field
to use for the PID for a given OUI, and a dissector table to be used for the PID's value, passing llc_add_oui() an
integral value for the OUI.  We could continue to allow that, and just convert the 3-octet value to an integral value
in the 802.2 dissector and use that integral value to look up the registered information.