Wireshark mailing list archives

Using C++ for a test tool linking to wireshark

From: "Sultan, Hassan via Wireshark-dev" <wireshark-dev () wireshark org>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 18:48:54 +0000

Hi,

I've noticed everything in Wireshark seems to be in C89 , which I guess is understandable for portability reasons.

I'm curious whether you guys would be okay with having an external test tool be in C++ 11 though (think of something
like tshark or rawshark but much smaller/simpler and for test purposes) , this would limit the platforms where that
tool can be compiled, but would also make development for it a lot more comfortable.

I can rewrite it to be in C89 if needed, but if I can save myself some work, that would be nice :)

Thanks,

Hassan