Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Hierarchy of fields & offsets again, more potential offenders

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 23:08:55 +0200

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 12:29 AM, Sultan, Hassan via Wireshark-dev <
wireshark-dev () wireshark org> wrote:
Hi Hasan,

Can you share your tools ? i can be add to wireshark for found some
violation/error...

Coming back on this and how to solve it, here's a suggestion I have, let me
know what you guys think :

- Whenever a field is really a helper rather than the actual parsed data
(an alternate representation of data in the packet for example, here
tcp.payload would be the alternate representation of the data parsed in the
following layers) mark the field as FI_GENERATED, or create a new flag for
helper fields and mark them as such

It is a idea but GENERATED it is not the good field..
it is not possible to ignore some hf on your tools ?

In the case here, tcp.payload would stay under tcp, but flagged as
FI_GENERATED or FI_HELPER (or whatever we'd call the flag). The NTLMSSP
cases further in the list I gave has a similar case, where an FT_STRING
field is present as a helper so the person looking at the parsed packet
immediately sees what the offset/length of the string correspond to, but
the string it represents is data located in a very different position in
the packet and which already has another field representing it.

NTMLSSP (and other dissector like GQUIC) use a map-value entry for field
and yes, it is a complicated for display this case on Wireshark...  and i
don't have solution...

Adding a flag has the advantage that automation can easily identify these
fields and act accordingly (for example to ignore them).

Thoughts ?