Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Setting to disable all expert info

From: Dario Lombardo <dario.lombardo.ml () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 10:49:08 +0200

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 10:21 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

Let's wait until the generation of the expert info results in a measurably
significant CPU or memory use increase before we add a knob to turn it
off.  There are probably other places to look at to reduce memory usage
first.

That's an interesting point... any idea what they are?
I worked on the conversation code that looks one of the most memory eaters.
I was working on purging pending conversations after a while. The idea was
that if I can't find the corresponding packet of a conversation in a bunch
of seconds (let's say 5), it is very unlikely that I will find it. I am
aware that some protocols could have looser timing constraints and this
approach wouldn't work for them, but I was just playing with the idea. What
do you think?