Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Specifying dissectors declaratively

From: Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf () condition-alpha com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 22:07:20 +0200

On 2017-04-19, at 20:51 , Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Apr 19, 2017, at 5:46 AM, Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf () condition-alpha com> wrote:

I have used ASN.1 in projects, and I would fully support Pascal's recommendation that it doesn't seem the best
choice for Wireshark.

It's the best choice for protocols specified in ASN.1 and using BER or PER.

Unless we add ECN support, it's not the best choice for protocols not using BER or PER.
[...]

Fully agree; that was exactly the background for my statement. If you have a well delineated use case where you can
restrict it to one or two encodings, ASN.1 will do the job perfectly well. But for Wireshark, I think we cannot
generally assume that no other encodings will occur.

Cheers,

  --alex