Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Calling the lte-rrc disector from within mac-lte for NB-IoT

From: Andre Puschmann <andre.puschmann () softwareradiosystems com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 15:55:01 +0100

On 09.11.2016 15:39, Pascal Quantin wrote:
Hi Andre,

Le 9 nov. 2016 15:28, "Andre Puschmann"
<andre.puschmann () softwareradiosystems com
<mailto:andre.puschmann () softwareradiosystems com>> a écrit :

Hi,

I'd like to dissect NB-IoT frames using the lte-rrc dissector from
within the mac-lte one. The mac-lte dissector currently only calls the
_normal_ LTE dissectors and I therefore wanted to add support for the
NB-IoT ones as well.

I saw that in packet-mac-lte.h there is already a MAC_LTE_NB_MODE_TAG
tag present. Is that supposed to be used for NB-IoT? If so, how do you
think about the below addition to the mac-lte dissector? It's not meant
to be a pull-request, it's just to see if I got it right.

Yes this is the kind of changes required. I was too lazy when I added
the NB-IoT support in MAC and RRC dissectors and did not do this change
(I'm  calling them separately and not using the RRC sub dissector call
from MAC one). Presumably the same kind of  changes must be done for
other channels (PCCH, CCH, DCCH). And RLC / PDCP dissectors will require
modification also.
Are you willing to work on it and submit a patch in Gerrit?

Pascal,

great! I first wanted to confirm that I am on the right path because I
actually never looked at the code before today. Yes, I am willing to
continue and submit a pull-reqeust in Gerrit. If possible, I'd add
support for it step-by-step. For now I can only confirm that it works
for those two channels present in the patch.

Thanks
Andre