Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Changing names of excutable files using CMake?

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2016 15:43:59 +0000

On 13 January 2016 at 23:06, Alex Lindberg <alindber () yahoo com> wrote:

I am using CMake to build a customized version of Wireshark that needs to
be installed at the beside the default Wireshark libraries and run-time
files.

To do this with previous version of Wireshark (<2) I created a SED script
to do global search and replace functions to change file names, etc. The
result of this script, that after a build, custom named libraries,
directories and executable files where created. This approach worked, but
did not allow for easy migration to newer code bases.

So now I am trying to do it the 'smart way' (if there is one) by migrating
to CMake (using Jetbrains' Clion) for the build environment.  The default
build works just fine (Based on Debian's testing version of WS).

Any ideas on how to proceed?  I can imagine that my request will meet some
resistance.

As always, thank you for your help.

The executables and libraries are named in CMake by the add_executable()
and add_library() commands respectively, and can be modified after the fact
by subsequent calls to set_target_properties(target PROPERTY OUTPUT_NAME
newname).

It might be possible to add a collection of set_target_property() calls in
CMakeCustomLists.txt which can be used to add custom CMake modifications.
Currently a custom file is permitted at the top-level and in asn1, epan and
ui\gtk.

Dealing with directories is much harder, most of them are hard-coded in the
CMake scripts.

--
Graham Bloice