Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Mac Build Error

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 18:11:56 -0800

On Jan 18, 2016, at 7:04 AM, David Morsberger <dave () morsberger com> wrote:

Not exactly sure how the outdated file showed up in the wireshark source (not build) hierarchy. My guess is it was
due to a cmake run because of the following.
1. mkdir build
2. cd build
3. cmake <options> .. to include cmake -G Xcode ..
4 No make file in the build directory.

You said "-G Xcode", so there shouldn't *be* makefiles, there should be Xcode project files; when I tried that, with
CMake 2.8.12.2, it *did* put Wireshark.xcodeproj in the build directory.

It appears to put all the generated files in the wireshark source directories.

When I tried it with -G Xcode, CMake didn't put anything in the Wireshark source directories.

This behavior is counter to the build instructions.

The build instructions aren't intended for Xcode, and don't have any section for Xcode; there are instructions for
Unix-like systems and for Windows.