Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Perl checkAPIs errors

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:04:21 +0200

Hi Tobias,

fixed-term.Tobias.Scholz () boschrexroth de>:

Hey,

before uploading my changes, I wanted to test my files with perl, like its
mentioned within the guide “3.9 – Contribute your changes”.  For my new
functions I edited three files.

   - Starting perl for the first file I first got the error, that I used
   non-ASCII Chars. Since I have fixed that problem, starting perl another
   time for the same file it’s just crashing and I get a Windows message
   “perl.exe has stopped working”. Looking to the prompt, there hasn’t been
   added any new output message by perl. Does anybody know, whats happening
   there or how I get the error for crashing perl?

(I used the perl command within git-bash and having a win7 x64 operating
system.)

   - Using the perl command for the other two files, I get this message
   on the prompt:

“Nested quantifiers in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/ \s index \s*+ <--
HERE  [^\(\w] / at D:/Development/wireshark/tools/checkAPIs.pl line 1395.”
I even don’t get the point of that message. Can someone help me with that
issue?

The Perl script is tested (and supposed to work) with Cygwin's Perl
interpreter. I do not know whether it's expected to use with the Perl
version packaged with Windows Git package. Could you retry from Cygwin
terminal rather than git-bash one? On my side I avoid as much as possible
the use of pre-packaged programs from Git Windows installer.
BTW if you copy the tools\pre-commit file in our
D:\Development\wireshark\.git\hooks folder, the checks will be performed
automatically at commit time.

Regards,
Pascal.