Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Fuzzing Wireshark with oss-fuzz

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 21:36:33 -0800

On Dec 20, 2016, at 8:31 PM, Moshe <me () moshekaplan com> wrote:

I've been working on adding Wireshark to Google's oss-fuzz project

What do you mean by "Wireshark"?

There are at least two parts of Wireshark that deal with externally-supplied data and can be fuzz-tested:

        1) the libwiretap library, which reads capture files, and has to deal with potentially-malformed file formats;

        2) the libwireshark library, which is handed blobs of raw packet data and packet metadata including (but not
limited to) the link-layer header type of the packet data - that data usually comes from a capture file read by
libwiretap, but it doesn't *have* to.