Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Documentation error in README.dissector?

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 23:48:20 +0200

Hi,

Yes, you could raise a bug. Or try to submit a change rewording this text.

Thanks,
Jaap

On 06-08-16 12:16, Paul Offord wrote:
Hi,

README.dissector describes two accessor functions that access null terminated
strings and return the string length.  The document says:

-----------------

gint tvb_get_nstringz(tvbuff_t *tvb, const gint offset, const guint bufsize,
guint8* buffer);

gint tvb_get_nstringz0(tvbuff_t *tvb, const gint offset, const guint bufsize,
guint8* buffer);

Returns a null-terminated buffer containing data from the specified tvbuff,

starting at the specified offset, and containing all characters from the

tvbuff up to and including a terminating null character in the tvbuff.

"*lengthp" will be set to the length of the string, including the terminating

null.

I think these notes have been incorrectly copied and pasted from similar
functions above this point in the doc.  Three particular points:

1.       We pass the address of the buffer we want to use as a parameter

2.      The value returned in the string length

3.      The length returned doesn’t include the  null terminator

Am I right?  Should I raise a bug?

Thanks and regards…Paul