Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Get "Malformed Packet" for 802.11 Beacon frames on Windows

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 12:09:59 -0700

On Apr 14, 2016, at 8:22 AM, Gianluca Varenni <Gianluca.Varenni () riverbed com> wrote:

Yes, but it’s rooted pretty deep in some of the libpcap sources. That code was actually working at some point on
linux and there was some idea to include it in libpcap vs. being a patch for WinPcap. I don’t know what happened to
that plan.

One of the many projects on my list is a re-implementation of that, to be used with pcap_create() and pcap_activate(),
to support multiple URI schemes, including but not necessarily limited to rpcap.  Right now, that particular process is
not getting much CPU; hopefully the scheduler can boost its process soon. :-)

AFAIK, there were also some security concerns about the protocol used for transferring the packets (I don’t know the
details),

I seem to remember Michael Richardson using the term "attack surface" in his comment, so I suspect the concern was just
that it would potentially provide a way for a malicious server to attack a program using libpcap/WinPcap, if the client
code wasn't very careful about vetting its input.