Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: GCC GTK3 Wireshark build warnings ?

From: Bálint Réczey <balint () balintreczey hu>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 22:24:51 +0400

On 11/11/15 12:28, Bill Meier wrote:

When building GTK3 Wireshark on my Fedora system (after not having done
so for a while), I'm getting many warnings similar to the following:

  CC       libgtkui_a-about_dlg.o
In file included from /usr/include/gtk-3.0/gtk/gtk.h:263:0,
                  from about_dlg.c:28:
/usr/include/gtk-3.0/gtk/deprecated/gtkstyle.h:454:43: error: identifier
"and" is a special operator name in C++ [-Werror=c++-compat]
  GDK_DEPRECATED_IN_3_0_FOR(GtkStyleContext and gtk_render_background)
                                            ^

[versions: Fedora 23; GCC 5.1.1; GTK3 3.18.2]

-Wc++-compat seems to have been added in March 2013 (g557df88), so I
don't know why I'm now getting the warnings (although it's been some
number of months since I've built GTK3 Wireshark with GCC);
  Warnings didn't show with previous versions of GCC compiler ?
  GTK changes ??
  ???

It looks like Balint already sent a patch to Gtk:

https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201403/msg00042.html
It seems to be a new breakage, I have to check it.

So: it seems we want to continue to support GTK3 ?

Yes, I think so.  At least RHEL 6 needs to continue to use the Gtk+ GUI
(since its Qt isn't new enough).  (Though I still stick with Gtk2.)

and thus it seems that the -Wc++-compat compile flag would need to be
removed when building GTK stuff or ??

That's probably not unreasonable (as long as the rest of Wireshark still
gets the flag).
As a workaround one can pass -Wno-c++-compat as an extra flag to build
local Wireshark versions without having to patch anything.

Cheers,
Balint