Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Extcap DLTs

From: Dario Lombardo <dario.lombardo.ml () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 14:00:08 +0100

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Roland Knall <rknall () gmail com> wrote:

You could try USER0. The problem here is, that I have to register the
extcap interface with the other interfaces at some point, and usually this
happens way before the capture starts (at which point an extcap utility
might know which DLT it could produce). Therefore I first ask the utility
for all interfaces and then for each DLT per interface.

Where is it defined? I can't compile something like

g_print("dlt {number=%u}{name=%s}{display=%s}\n", USER0,
RANDPKT_EXTCAP_INTERFACE, wtap_encap_string(USER0));

What you could do is provide 5 interfaces, one for each individual DLT.
This clobbers up the interface list a little bit, but at least you would be
able to use the correct DLTs for the interfaces. Combine this with a
preference which interfaces should be supported, and you could reduce the
clobber a little bit.

I don't like it very much... Having too many interfaces is not likeable.
Expecially when related to this bug

We actually provide a plug-in with our extcap utility, which allows the
user to set more generic options via  a gui hook-up (using the plugin_if
functionality). But you could also use a more generic preference in
Wireshark itself and read from there.

regards,
Roland

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Dario Lombardo <