Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Our Git URLs: https vs ssh

From: Peter Wu <peter () lekensteyn nl>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 23:53:21 +0100

Hi Stephen,

On Friday 02 January 2015 15:34:46 Stephen Fisher wrote:
I've seen two URLs for getting Wireshark via Git:

      https://code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark

              and

      ssh://my.username () code wireshark org:29418/wireshark

The first one is mentioned in the developer's guide and elsewhere, while
the second is mentioned for using Gerrit to submit changes.  Since I
submit changes to Gerrit, I've always used the SSH URL even for the
initial pull (clone).  Can users use the HTTPS one initially and then
easily change to the SSH one if they decide to contribute?  I'm still
used to the SVN days where committers had to use the SSH URL to get into
the SVN repo and everyone else used the public URL.

You can change the remote with `git remote set-url`. SVN has only one
URL AFAIK, but git can configure a different one depending on the
direction:

$ git remote -v
origin  https://code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark (fetch)
origin  ssh://Lekensteyn () code wireshark org:29418/wireshark (push)

To change the fetch URL, you can use this command:

    git remote set-url origin https://code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark

To set the push URL, use this instead:

    git remote set-url --push origin ssh://...

Verify with `git remote -v`.

Now you can fetch changes without having to unlock your SSH key.

Kind regards,
Peter