Wireshark mailing list archives

Undissected reserved fields

From: Dario Lombardo <dario.lombardo.ml () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 17:40:27 +0100

I'm playing with the "undissected bytes" functionality of wireshark,
patching some dissectors that clearly lack some fields. But now I've found
some of them that fall in a "grey area" and I'd lilke to discuss with other
devels the best way to go on.

I've found that many dissectors lack decoding of "reserved/unused" fields.
An example of them is the ISL dissector and an example file
is provabis.pcap (found it in the wiki).
This field is reserved but is part of the specifications of the protocol
(have a look here
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/8021q/17056-741-4.html).
It is clearly stated that the field is 0x0 in ethernet, but can have values
in token ring or FDDI.

So the general question is: is it correct to leave "reserved/unused" fields
udecoded? Or would it better to decode them as described in the actual
specifications (reserved of unused)?

Thanks for sharing your point of view!!
Dario.