Wireshark mailing list archives

Building Own GUI for stats plugin

From: Roland Knall <rknall () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:57:14 +0100

Hi

I am creating a separate stats plugin, which will only be distributed to
customers and in-house. Adding a statistics entry and displaying the
general information is a no-brainer using the stats_tree functions.

But I would need to add my own GUI elements, as well as graphical and
statistics information. I've browsed quite a bit, but cannot find anything,
that would suit my needs.

I would either need some kind of handle provided by the stats_tree plugin
(or a similair interface), so that I just get a reference to the gui window
and add my own stuff there (for Qt and GTK), or the ability, to add a
statistics menu entry, which calls my own menu callback, so that I can go
from there, but then I would need to ensure, that my statistic is not
hidden by the main wireshark instance.

I know that some companies do extend Wireshark to achieve that (seems
Riverbed being one of them), but is there a way without modifying the
source?

If not, should I create one and submit it to gerrit? Would this be accepted
for future implementations as a general option?

regards,
Roland