Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Patch: Prepare for some cleanups of 802.11ad

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 14:30:41 -0700

On Aug 22, 2015, at 1:44 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

No, I'd add a DMG field to radiotap, containing, among other values, an mcs subfield, with a Clause 21 MCS value in
it.

Yes, in an ideal world. However, there will likely be captures out
there for a while yet that do not have such a DMG field because it is
not yet defined.

So software that reads radiotap captures and that cares about 11ad information needs to have a workaround wherein
frames lacking a DMG field (which means "all frames", currently, as there isn't yet a DMG field) and having a channel
frequency in the 11ad range have an 11ad PHY and, if they have MCS or VHT fields, ignore all items in those fields that
don't apply to 11ad and *perhaps* interpret the MCS value in the MCS field as if it were an 11ad MCS value rather than
an 11n MCS value.

I'm a software engineer, not an electrical engineer, so I'm not even remotely close to an authority on what
radio-layer information would be useful, but a quick look at Clause 21 suggests that it might want to include a flag
to indicate whether "Static Tone Pairing" or "Dynamic Tone Pairing" was used.

Can you make that suggestion on the radiotap mailing list?

I've followed up to your radiotap message with a suggestion for a DMG field.

I can then communicate it to the appropriate parties and perhaps get
them to join that mailing list as well.

If they're using radiotap for 11ad frames, they most definitely should join the mailing list.