Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: subprotocols

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 19:22:32 +0200

Hi.

I have created a dissector for our tunnel protocol.  I have the feeling
that if I want to decode a payload protocol, say LTE MAC protocol, I'd use
the proto() statement to hang that into my tree and some library code
somewhere would do the rest of the decoding ... but I can't find these
libraries (e.g. http://wiki.wireshark.org/MAC-LTE).  Can someone set me
straight?

cts

Hi Charles,

LTE MAC dissector is a bit specific as it requires some meta data allowing
it to know how to decaode the payload. You have 2 ways to configure it:
- either look at epan/dissectors/packet-catapult-dct2000.c and check how it
is configuring those meta data (mac_lte_info structure attached to each
frame)
- or use the UDP framing format as described in
epan/dissectors/packet-mac-lte.h file. Some sample code demonstrating how
to use it can be found here: http://wiki.wireshark.org/MAC-LTE

Regards,
Pascal.