Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How does wireshark know which is the http response for a given request?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 20:35:34 -0500

On 11/13/2014 02:08 AM, Mohamed Lrhazi wrote:
Don't really have much more to add to the subject line :)

It appears the HTTP dissector simply marks the next non-request message as being the response to the previous request. That is, is there's a request followed by a non-request message in the other direction then that message is the response to the request.

I'd guess this works because HTTP is a request-response protocol (i.e., you can't make multiple requests on a given TCP connection without waiting for a response). (Admittedly I don't know much about HTTP.)