Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Custom link layer type for logging additional data

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:37:56 -0800

On Nov 26, 2014, at 11:34 PM, Anil <anilkumar911 () gmail com> wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I will follow the procedure when I have to checkin the code (I have not done that as of now).

My question is more about, 'is it right to use another link type to log additional information about the packet ?' .
The additional information is not 'really'  another link layer header.

There are plenty of "link-layer header types" that include information that's not part of a link-layer header; see, for
example, LINKTYPE_IEEE802_11_RADIOTAP, which precedes the 802.11 link-layer header with a metadata header containing
radio information:

        http://www.radiotap.org/