Wireshark mailing list archives

media strings and pinfo->private_data

From: mmann78 () netscape net
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 16:39:56 -0500

I'm looking into removing the use of pinfo->private_data in all current dissectors in favor of only using the "data"
parameter in new-style dissectors.  The last large remaining use of pinfo->private_data is to pass "string media"
between various dissectors.  Some of the "receiving" dissectors (of the string data) support receiving strings through
1 or more of the following methods:
1. data parameter of new-style dissector
2. pinfo->match_string
3. pinfo->private_data

Can someone give me the "10000 ft view" of this behavior?  Should I be able to "convert" all pinfo->private_data use
into data parameters?  Do the strings end up going through multiple dissectors, so it needs to be "protected" in
pinfo->private_data?  Are there inherent relationships between a "pinfo->match_string" string and either the data
parameter or pinfo->private_data string?

This is stuff I haven't been able to figure out with just code analysis.