Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Which pcap function wireshark use

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 13:01:24 -0700

On May 6, 2014, at 12:47 PM, my007ms <my007ms () yahoo com> wrote:

So wireshark use normal libpcap.so not libwiretap.so in capture packets ?

(Not on my machine - it's called libpcap.dylib on my machine.  It might be called libpcap.dll on other machines. :-))

Correct.  Early in Ethereal development, we thought libwiretap would be used to do live capture in addition to reading
capture files, but that never became necessary.

if you please guide me which file in source code i should read to find more about this part of wireshark

If by "this part" you mean packet capture, read dumpcap.c.  (Wireshark and TShark run dumpcap to do the packet capture;
packet capture might require elevated privileges, and, well, as doc/README.packaging says:

        WIRESHARK CONTAINS OVER TWO MILLION LINES OF SOURCE CODE. DO NOT RUN THEM AS ROOT.

so we limit the elevated-privileges part to dumpcap, which is simpler and does not contain and *NEVER* will contain
packet-dissection code.)