Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: GIT tutorials (was: Re: Fix bug in GSM MAP, have problems with GIT)

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 13:47:49 -0700

On Mar 11, 2014, at 1:35 PM, Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com> wrote:

Not technically true. If I make a commit with SHA x, push it, and it
gets submitted, then it is true that the final SHA in master will be y
!= x. However, the next time I pull then I will get SHA y as well.
They x and y technically reference different commits, since y contains
additional information about who reviewed it, when it was submitted
from Gerrit, etc.

And if you use the Git Swiss Army Sledgehammer, a/k/a "git rebase", you can get rid of the commit with SHA x or, at
least, not have it clutter your logs (as well as getting rid of all those silly merges Git forces you to do in some
cases).  That's one reason why the "git rebase" in my "git update" script:

        git stash; git pull; git rebase; git stash pop

is handy.