Wireshark mailing list archives

my traffic not captured

From: "David Sheats, Friendly Computer Service" <david.sheats () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 10:08:44 -0400

Hi folks,

     I am writing a program that makes use of Windows Sockets, and I thought I might use Wireshark to watch the traffic
     I send data from the client computer to the server computer using a regular TCP connection onto port 2022 of the
server.  I know the server is receiving the information, because it is able to print it on the screen.
     Wireshark seems to be capturing other data just fine, such as HTTP traffic on port 80, and VNC traffic (I use that
to fiddle with my server so I don't have to walk back and forth between my computers).  Switching promiscuous mode on
or off doesn't seem to help.  Also, it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I'm running Wireshark on the client or
the server side of the connection.

     I am wondering if maybe it's the API call I'm using.  I am using send() and recv() found in winsock2.h.  Does this
API call somehow bypass the driver that Shark uses to capture traffic?  I'm a bit stymied, and would like to see my
bytes flowing  :-P

-David