Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-commits] master 04c39bb: Add Lua heuristic dissector support

From: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan () oracle com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 18:03:11 -0400

On Mar 14, 2014, at 5:06 PM, Bill Meier <wmeier () newsguy com> wrote:

Re;

 doc/README.heuristic          |   10 +--

+     * but ONLY do this if your heuristic sits directly on top of UDP
       or TCP (ie, you did heur_dissector
+     * otherwise you'll be overriding the dissector that called your
       heuristic dissector.

I think this is not correct. There is at least one "transport" protocol other than TCP & UDP (i.e., DCCP) which
currently has a heuristic table and calls 'try_conversation()' and thus heuristic sub-dissectors can use
conversation_set_dissector().

Right - sorry, I was being too specific.

How about the something like following wording:

... but only do this if your heuristic sits directly on top of
   (was called by) a dissector which established a conversation
   for the protocol "port type". IOW: directly over TCP, UDP, ...

Sounds good. I'll submit it shortly if no one objects.

-hadriel