Wireshark mailing list archives

Fwd: Re: Storing Generated Code in Git [Was: master 9079e3a: Cheat and try to fix the generated file manually.]

From: Anders Broman <a.broman58 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 02:42:41 +0200

---------- Vidarebefordrat meddelande ----------
Från: "Evan Huus" <eapache () gmail com>
Datum: 24 jun 2014 00:14
Ämne: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Storing Generated Code in Git [Was: master
9079e3a: Cheat and try to fix the generated file manually.]
Till: "Developer support list for Wireshark" <wireshark-dev () wireshark org>
Kopia:

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Jun 23, 2014, at 2:06 PM, Evan Huus <eapache () gmail com> wrote:

As far as I can see, the main arguments for storing generated code in
git are:
- not all platforms have the tools necessary to generate the code
- generating it can take lots of time

I see four different types of people/groups building from source:

        1) people who just want the latest Wireshark for a platform for
which there are no binary packages;

        2) people who want to build the latest Wireshark from source
rather than trusting binary packages;

        3) people who want to do Wireshark development;

        4) people building binary packages for a release.

People in group 1 would, presumably, want a source tarball that requires
as few tools to build as possible.

People in group 2 might, or might not, want that, depending on whether
they trust the tools that generate source.

People in group 3 might well need to re-build the generated source
files, as they might be modifying the source from which they're generated.
 They could use a tarball as long as they're only tweaking existing C or
C++ code, but if they're adding new code or modifying something that's used
to generate other source. they're just like people building from Git.

People in group 4 probably could build from a tarball; if they don't
want to do that, I have no problem requiring them to have *all* the tools
necessary to generate the code or making the process take longer.

So perhaps what we should do is:

        not check generated code into Git;

        put all generated code into the source tarballs.

That works fine for me. I have no philosophical objections to putting
generated code into a source tarball.

Presumably we should rebuild all the DCERPC files as well at buildtime then?