Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Is there any reason to give our libraries "libXXX.{dll, lib}" names on Windows?

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 07:49:36 +0100

On 10 July 2014 07:30, Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com> wrote:

On 10 July 2014 02:06, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On UN*X, the file names for libraries begin with "lib" - the linkers all
look for "libfoo.*" if you link with "-lfoo".

On Windows, that's not the case.

Is there any reason for us to put "lib" at the beginning of the file
names for the wsutil, wiretap, wireshark, etc. libraries?  I infer from

        https://code.wireshark.org/review/2957

that CMake might, by default, not put "lib" there, requiring us to, in
the CMake build, force it to be there on Windows by adding some stuff to
the CMakeLists.txt files.

I can confirm that Windows CMake has an empty "prefix" value and authored
that change only to make things the same as the nmake build.  I'm not
fussed either way, but changing the library names may have consequences for
the installer as well.  Currently I haven't got the windows CMake as far as
building an installer yet.

Note that on Windows nmake, filetap and wiretap don't get a "lib" prefix,
instead they get a version suffix, e.g. "wiretap-1.99.0.dll"

One other piece of info, without this change, CMake produces a
wireshark.exe and a wireshark.dll and the .pdb file for the dll gets
overwritten by the one for the exe.

Also, many of our 3rd party libraries follow the UN*X way, e.g.
"libglib-2.0-0.dll", so there is some form of consistency there.  In the
end I don't think it matters for Windows users, devs or the tools.

--
Graham Bloice