Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Measuring Delay?

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman () ericsson com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:44:26 +0000

From: wireshark-users-bounces () wireshark org [mailto:wireshark-users-bounces () wireshark org] On Behalf Of Rania
Saleem
Sent: den 28 juli 2014 07:35
To: wireshark-users () wireshark org
Subject: [Wireshark-users] Measuring Delay?

Hi guys,

I have quick question please, how do I measure delay of RTP stream??
I have seen the RTP analysis of delta, packet loss, max jitter, and mean jitter, but I haven't seen the ability of
measuring delay so I'm wondering if I'm missing something!
Help please?

Best,
Rania

I don’t think there is an automated way to measure “delay”, it also depends on your definition of delay:

-          The time from when the “speech” enters the microphone of  the speaker until the “speech” leaves the speaker
of the recipient” which would require some external tools.

-          The time RTP leaves one “sender” until it reaches one RTP receiver. In which case you would have to capture
the RTP packets close to the sender and close to the receiver and calculate the time difference which may not be so
easy.

Vid video it may be even more complicated…
Regards
Anders