Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark 1.12.0rc3 for OS X 64bits is not really 64 bits ?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:24:52 -0700

On Jul 23, 2014, at 5:09 PM, Fabrice Gautier <fabrice.gautier () gmail com> wrote:

I downloaded the 64bit OS X installer for 1.12.0rc3, and after
installing, it is still asking me for X11, when I was expecting the QT
version.

The port to Qt is incomplete, and lacks enough capabilities that it's not ready to be an official release yet, so 1.12
is being built as a GTK+/X11 application for OS X.

My understanding is that the QT version is only in the 64 bits
version,

Neither the 32-bit version of 1.12 for OS X nor the 64-bit version of 1.12 for OS X are Qt applications; they're both
GTK+/X11 applications.

I think we're building the "1.99" trunk development versions with Qt; both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of that are
available at

        http://www.wireshark.org/download/automated/osx/

and after looking up what was installed, it seems that the
main  Wireshark binary is a 32 bit binary,

The "main Wireshark binary", in the sense of "the program that's in
/Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/MacOS/Wireshark" is, in all the GTK+/X11 versions, a small wrapper program that
runs the *real* Wireshark binary, in /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wireshark-bin.

/Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/MacOS/Wireshark is built 32-bit, but it doesn't do very much, so that would only
be an issue if Apple ever dropped support for 32-bit x86; we will probably have switched to Qt by the time that
happens.  /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wireshark-bin is built 32-bit in the 32-bit package and
64-bit in the 64-bit package.

so i'm suspecting I'm not
getting what I'm supposed to get from the download link.

Anybody else was able to get the OS X, QT version of 1.12.0rc3 ?

Yes.  It can be found here:

        https://2.na.dl.wireshark.org/src/wireshark-1.12.0rc3.tar.bz2

You will need a tool named "gcc" or "clang" to install it. :-)

(I.e., if you want a Qt version of 1.12, you will need to build it from the source code.  We're not providing binary
packages of the Qt version.)