Wireshark mailing list archives

Python bindings for wireshark

From: Lukas Lueg <lukas.lueg () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:42:24 +0100

Hi,

given the dark abyss that packet dissection libraries available to Python
are, I've just started a library to make the code beneath Wireshark's GUI
available to Python. Wirepy is a foreign function interface to use
Wireshark within Python as implemented by CPython and PyPy.

Working with dumpcap, wiretap, dissection of packets to protocol-trees and
columns is usable but most of the more fine-grained functionality is not
yet implemented. Also, a more pythonic API needs to be created atop the FFI.

While valgrind shows that about 35% of cpu time is spent in the Python
interpreter, a single of my laptop's cores can handle about 100mbit of
traffic per second - not bad.

The code just matured to it's own git repo and now lives at
https://github.com/lukaslueg/wirepy

I'd be grateful for comments, passing the word, and contributions.

Best regards
Lukas