Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Add a capability to disable/enable a dissector table ?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:30:44 -0800

On Feb 21, 2014, at 10:37 AM, Bill Meier <wmeier () newsguy com> wrote:

It seems to me that it would be nice to be able to disable/enable specific dissector and heuristic tables.

For example, this would be useful when investigating tcp level issues
for which tcp payload dissection is not interesting.

That involves disabling multiple tables.

At least from the UI standpoint, we probably, instead, want to be able to disable a given protocol's handoff, so that,
for *all* places where its dissector hands off its payload to another dissector, whether that's through a dissector
table, a heuristic dissector table, or a direct call via call_dissector() etc., it ends up calling the data dissector
instead.