Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: "right" git clone address

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:29:32 -0800

On Feb 20, 2014, at 4:20 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org> wrote:

I'd prefer to have as few repositories and repository URLs as possible.
This would hopefully make things less confusing for developers and is
one less thing to monitor and maintain on the server side. (On the other
hand I think there's a compelling argument for mirroring to GitHub,

As long as all mirroring either

        1) treats the mirror as read-only

or

        2) something automatically pulls changes from the mirror to the Official Repository

and

        3) github doesn't become a replacement for Bugzilla.

I speak from experience with libpcap and tcpdump, which:

        have both repositories on bpf.tcpdump.org and GitHub; changes checked into bpf get pushed to GitHub
automatically (I don't know how often - it might be nightly) but changes on GitHub (such as merged pull requests)
currently require that they be *manually* pulled (I have a "pull-from-github" script that lets me do that to my libpcap
and tcpdump trees, and then I push them to bpf);

        use GitHub as the bug database - meaning it doesn't support attachments.

(It looks like people are still checking out from
anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark. I'm not sure what to do about that.)

Make one last checkin to it that changes autogen.sh to just print

        THESE AREN'T THE WIRESHARK SOURCES YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.  MOVE ALONG TO {url}

and exit with an exit status of 1, and perhaps tweak the configure script to do the same?